DVM, The Ohio State University, 1980
PhD, The Ohio State University, 1985
MS, The Ohio State University, 1980
BA, University of Virginia, 1976
Awards & Recognition
- Certificate of Appreciation, University of Minnesota Foundation, 2008.
- Certificate of Appreciation, Association of American Veterinary Colleges (AAVMC), 2008.
- Community Partner Award, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 2006.
- Gold-head Cane Award, The American Veterinary Epidemiology Society, 2005.
- Charles N. Hewitt Creative Teaching Award, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, 2005.
- American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, Distinguished Diplomate Award, 2004.
- 2003 Distinguished Alumni, The Ohio State University, 2003.
- Special Recognition Award (CWD), Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, 2003.
- Service Award, Minnesota Veterinary Medical Association, 2002.
- Team Service Award (CWD), Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, 2002.
- Service Award, Maryland Veterinary Medical Association, 2001.
- Distinguished Service Award, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, 2001.
- 2000 Distinguished Veterinarian: For standards of excellence and dedicated service to the profession of veterinary medicine, Virginia Veterinary Medical Association, 2000.
- Regional Distinguished Team Award for "Science on the Cutting Edge", National Honorary Extension Fraternity, 1999.
- Certificate of Appreciation, US Food and Drug Administration, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, 1999.
- Honorary Diplomate, The American Veterinary Epidemiology Society, 1998.
- National Academy of Practice, Distinguished Practitioner in Veterinary Medicine, 1997.
- Certificate of Appreciation for contributions toward maintaining access of U.S. poultry in the Russian market and creating a more cooperative relationship with the Russian poultry industry, presented by Secretary of Agriculture, Dan Glickman, March, 1997.
- Outstanding Performance Cash Awards, USDA:APHIS, Veterinary Services, 1991, 1994, and 1995.
- Certificate of Appreciation, USDA:FSIS, Animal Production Food Safety, 1995.
- Mayor's Award for improving the quality of life for persons with disabilities, Group Award to Multiple Sclerosis peer counselors, 1993.
- Dr. Daniel E. Salmon Award for exemplary achievement in Federal Veterinary Medicine, USDA, and Cash Award from the National Association of Federal Veterinarians, 1992.
- President's Award, American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, 1991.
- Who's Who in Veterinary Science and Medicine, 1991-1992 Edition.
- Certificate of Appreciation, American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, 1990.
- Meritorious Service Award, Ohio Veterinary Medical Association, 1985.
- Phi Zeta, Veterinary Honor Society, 1979.
- Phi Beta Kappa, National Honor Society, 1976
Leadership training; Strengthening food supply systems globally; Epidemiology of zoonoses (diseases affecting both humans and other animals); Risk analysis (hazard identification, risk assessment, risk management, risk communication); Animal health monitoring and disease surveillance; Animal and public health policy formulation at the local, state, national, and international levels
Global Food Systems Leadership; Food safety; Risk communication including media relations; Epidemiology; Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, 1985; Epidemiology Specialty, American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, 1987