Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion Award
University of Minnesota - College of Veterinary Medicine
Nomination Information and Format
Purpose: To recognize significant accomplishments and innovation in achieving and sustaining diversity and inclusion efforts within the College’s personnel, policies, programs, environment, climate, and constituencies.
This award is dedicated to those who are committed to developing the capacity of the college to celebrate, support and realize the value of diversity and inclusion in our community and among our partners.
The college defines diversity as human difference that impacts how we interact with one another, communities, institutions and ourselves. Diversity matters as we strive to develop and respect human potential, create a supportive, nurturing climate, and acknowledge legal and moral responsibilities to historical inequalities.
Diversity includes but is not limited to people of color (under-represented groups and new populations), people with both visible and invisible disabilities, people of various gender and sexual identities and expressions, and first generation students of economically disadvantaged backgrounds. We also address issues of access and climate for individuals who might encounter barriers based on their religious expression, age, national origin, ethnicity, or veteran status.
Award: A stipend of $1,000 each for a faculty, staff and student, and a commemorative plaque each. (The awards will only be given if nomination materials warrant it.)
For Whom: One award for an individual or group from faculty at all ranks, one award for an individual or group from staff, one award for an individual student or a combination thereof in the College. If a group is recognized, the award will be shared between the nominated recipients.
Eligibility: Nominee(s) must be currently employed by the College (at least 75%) or be a student in good standing. An individual or group may receive the award only once in three years. Any aspect of the work of the College may be recognized: operations, staffing, programs, audiences, research, volunteers, etc. The award may recognize risks involved and outstanding efforts, although, outcomes are as of yet unrealized. This must be in addition to regularly assigned duties.
Nomination: Nominations may be made only by University of Minnesota employees or non-University collaborating partners directly engaged in College collaborations, and only on behalf of a colleague or a group.
Renomination: Nominators from previous years must submit updated materials, including updated references. A confidential list of nominees is kept in the award’s records.
Selection: The CVM Ad Hoc Committee on Diversity and Inclusion (comprised of faculty, staff and students) shall select recipients. The committee may select only one recipient from each category for this award. Potential diversity committee member nominees may not serve on the award selection process.
Please include the following items. For consistency, no additional material will be considered.
Nomination memo: no longer than two pages. Submit one original copy. Please include:
- Individual or group nominated (include all names, titles, locations)
- Nominator (name, phone number, and e-mail address)
- Narrative of outstanding accomplishments. Include brief, specific examples of:
- Purpose(s) of the effort and activities involved.
- How this effort exceeds normal job expectations; illustrates teamwork, inclusive thinking, sensitivity to or attention to diverse audiences, and/or exemplifies excellence.
- How this effort has fostered an environment that respects and values diversity and inclusion. Provide at least two examples (i.e. significant changes in actions of program participants, or tangible achievements – publications, visuals, signs, media announcements, displays, etc.).
- Significant changes or impacts resulting from the effort.
- One additional supporting letter (must be from community a partner if relevant to the nomination).
Please submit nominations to:
1964 Fitch Ave. Suite 108
St. Paul, MN 55108
For questions, please contact Sara Dion at email@example.com or 612-624-4747.